Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Peek of The Great Gatsby Movie


To be honest, I don't love F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.  (Go ahead.  Throw those cyber darts my way).  I enjoy analyzing it, but as a stand-alone story I'm not its biggest fan.  This picture from Baz Luhrmann's upcoming cinematic interpretation of the novel, however, gets me really excited for the movie's release, slated for next fall.  

If this photo is any indication, Luhrmann and Co. have managed to capture the spirit of the age.  There's also been a lot of buzz about the director's casting decisions, but I am on board with most of his choices (which you can find out about on the film's IMDb webpage).  Carey Mulligan can do no wrong in my eyes. 

If you've been following the buzz, how do you feel about the casting of the film?  Are there other upcoming movie releases that have grabbed your attention? 

4 comments:

Jade said...

I love the Great Gatsby movie, it's one of the older movie's that I actually enjoy.

John McLendon said...

I don't agree with Isla Fischer as Myrtle. Wasn't Myrtle an overweight woman who came from the "wrong side of the tracks"? That's what made her appealing. She also had a very strong sexuality. She was the opposite side of the Roaring 20s. Its seedy underbelly.

Diana said...

Jade: I haven't seen the old version in years. I could do with a reviewing!

John: I can see Isla Fisher playing Myrtle, even if she is too thin (but then, aren't all Hollywood actresses today?). I have mixed feelings about Leo Di Caprio. I think he's a talented actor, but I don't always connect to his performance if that makes any sense.

ragini mohite said...

i'm with you on the casting. however *insert shock noises here* i do love the book too. gatsby has been one of my favourite characters.