Thursday, October 06, 2011

Jane Austen's Garden


I love English gardens!  They're so beautiful, and Jane Austen's garden at her home in Chawton is no exception. Here are the photos I snapped of this gorgeous little spot in Hampshire.

Liz and Me
Tourists roam the grounds
Ana
A reminder of why I love green so much...
Diana, Diana sat on a garden wall
Diana, Diana avoided a great fall
A lovely garden...alley? What would one call it?
Liz and Ana
Simply gorgeous!
Pondering the beauties of nature
Does this make me a Romanticist?

I loved exploring the garden.  It almost makes up for the keen loss I felt at not being able to document my journey through the interior of the home.  However, you can wander Jane's home yourself through a virtual tour on the museum's website.  You can even catch a glimpse of Jane's writing desk in the background of the dining room.  Or get a better look at it here.  I should have discreetly taken a photo of it when nobody was looking.  Next time, next time.

4 comments:

ragini mohite said...

wish i was there too. its lovely to see the setting that inspired our favourite novels isnt it??

Liz said...

Such a wonderful place, I could have sat in that garden for hours! Maybe picked some more flowers whilst I was there...

Brooke said...

Beautiful! I can see how she was inspired to write! Who wouldn't be in that lovely setting?

Diana said...

It really was a magical spot! But then...I am always enamored with that any location that is connected to a beloved writer. They are my Mecca.