Monday, September 19, 2011

My Marvelous Mates: Ana

I am a lucky girl.  I have been particularly lucky in having acquired many wonderful friends over the years; some old, some new; some nearby and some from afar.  I thought it would be fun to interview a mate now and then, because I kinda feel awful about keeping their brilliance all to myself. 


Since I am currently crashing with my buddy Ana, I naturally harrassed her to help me out.  She agreed with just one stipulation, and this is a direct quote: 'As long as you don't go all Rita Skeeter on me.'  Fair enough.


Where are you from?  Portugal, the awesome province of Spain to those who don't know. 


What is your favourite food from home?  That is a difficult question since I like food in general, but I might go with octopus just to be weird.


If you had to wear one colour for the rest of your life what would it be?  To fit in with my old lady complex I'd say tweed, but since I'm fully aware that's not a colour I might go with black.


What is your favourite city?  Hmm...Tough question.  I think at the moment I might have to go with York, since we saw those amazing houses there last time we went. 


What has been your favourite holiday destination thus far?  Hate to be obvious, but it has to be London.  The trip impressed my 11-year-old self in so many ways.  It was probably what determined me to come [to England]. 


Which vacation spot is at the top of your travel list?  Well, I apparently don't aim that high as I'd have to say Yorkshire, but if I need to be specific Allerton Park.



Can you share a memorable travel moment?  To vary a bit from my gushing about London and England, I can actually share a memory from when I went to the States.  I didn't see much as I went to visit my aunt in Massachusetts and was too young to go out much, but I remember distinctly waking up really early and witnessing my aunt making an amazing breakfast.  Oh the joys of a full table first thing in the morning... Eggs, bacon, pancakes; that was all new to me and I was quite taken by the bear-shaped honey jar.  Also, it was the first time I ever saw a house fully carpeted!  Carpets aren't something we need much in Portugal's climate, it has to be said. 

Give me a book recommendation.  Now.  [Take note of my patience.]  At the risk of becoming a broken record, Wuthering Heights!  But as that is not everyone's cup of tea, I'd also say Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy.  It is an amazing fantasy series that marked my childhood. 

Give me a movie recommendation.  Now.  The Secret Garden, and I won't even apologise for that.  It is pure brilliance, and that is a fact!

What television show can you not get enough of?  Sherlock!  But that might just be because I have been living under the suspicion that Benedict Cumberbatch might be my soulmate.  Other than that, I'll watch almost any panel show in existence. 

What is your guilty pleasure?  Until recently I never fully realized the extent of my problem, but I'd say watching odd tv such as a documentary on Edwardian farming.  Just give me landscape, antiques, or something of the sort, and I'll watch it.

If you could invite three people, living or dead, to a dinner party who would be on your guest list?  Another tough one.  I mean, that would depend on whether I wanted a successful dinner party or not.  Assuming I didn't, I'd have to say Emily Bronte.  Though I would fully expect her not to show up, I had to mention her...  However, in order for me to actually have a party that lives up to its name, maybe Oscar Wilde to compensate for Emily's lack of social interaction, and because he would be a brilliant addition to any party.  And Stephen Fry, because he is basically Wilde's reincarnation.

Can you share a favourite quote?  'I cannot give the reasons, I only sing the tunes: the sadness of the seasons, the madness of the moons.'  --Mervyn Peake

The following question I posed to Ana as a joke.  Nevertheless, she provided a full paragraph in response that just touched my heart in spite of her lamentations that I kept vexing her with reminders to answer my questions with alacrity.  I won't bore you with the details, but I had to share one hilarious tidbit.

What is the most awesome thing about Diana [please narrow down to three]?  She introduced me to The Princess Bride and to Cary Elwes's glasses, surely there's enough credit in that. 


Ana, thank you for being a marvelous mate!  You're the best!

No comments: