Sunday, September 11, 2011

Going to the Fair


I didn't have the best morning yesterday.  I woke up an hour late due to a mindless alarm-setting error, my taxi didn't arrive on schedule causing me (and, by extension, my patient friends) to miss a train, and I managed to severely impair my camera after dropping it on the ground in an attempt to snap a photo.  In short, I was on the verge of a breakdown. 

You know what though?  Books cure all ills.

My purpose in arising early was to attend the York National Book Fair, the largest rare and antiquarian fair in Europe.  Despite my train gaffe, we managed to make it to York with plenty of time to spare for browsing. 

I. Was. In. Heaven.

After immersing myself in printed treasures my mood magically lifted.  Being in the mere presence of first editions and signed copies was the metaphorical balm to my soul.  I left feeling like I was walking on air; or I would have had I not been weighed down. 

I took several photos of some of these antiquarian gems as a substitute for lacking the funds to buy them.  In the meantime, I wanted to share these posters advertising the event.  I think they're adorable!


I think this last piece might be my favourite:


The cat's admonition to 'start collecting books now' is wholly unnecessary.  I was officially diagnosed as a bibliomaniac long ago.  (Treatment has thus far been unsuccessful.)  While the fair has now ended, you can still find information about antiquarian booksellers and their merchandise.  Caution: common side effects include oohing, aahing, and buying. 

No comments: