Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Pumpkin Carving


I haven't carved pumpkins in ages, so this year I was determined to get out the carving tools!  I left it until the last minute; fortunately, our local grocery store still had a good selection of pumpkins on offer.  After careful consideration, the siblings and I decided on two designs: an owl and the grim reaper. 

The gourds in their natural state
Pumpkin Guts!
It's time to disembowel...
Christian is evidently grossed out by the slime
But I don't mind it too much
Chelsea is undecided on the matter
Starting the carving process
Deep in concentration
With the finished product
Chelsea is making an owl face
Christian's Grim Reaper complete with scythe
Chelsea and I were quite proud of our little owl
We named her Hedwig
Then we displayed these works of art (ha ha) outside
where the cat added to the Halloween vibe

We were constantly interrupted by trick-or-treaters during the carving process, but we still had a fantastic time with our little gourds.  Afterwards, I went over to my dad's house where we watched Poltergeist.  It was a low-key, but pleasant, Halloween.  Did you have a good holiday?

P.S.  I didn't dress up this year, but after seeing this amazing costume I have a great idea for next year.  Or maybe I could be a Regency-era zombie in the vein of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?  Oh, the possibilities.  But now it's time to gear up for Thanksgiving and Christmas!

No comments: