Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Cinderella: An Evening at the Ballet

Ballet West First Soloist Haley Henderson Smith
as Cinderella's Fairy Godmother

Something you may not know about me: I'm a bunhead at heart. I adore the romance and spectable of the ballet. The grace of the dancers, the glamour of the costumes, the emotion in the music: each aspect of it enchants me.

Several months ago I realized that despite this ardour, I hadn't attended a ballet in...well, more years than I'd care to admit! With resolve to make cultural activities a bigger priority and a generous birthday present from my family, I've reacquainted myself with this charming art form. Utah has a wonderful ballet company: Ballet West, subject of the recent reality show Breaking Pointe. It would be a downright shame to not take advantage of it when it's in such close proximity.

Recently Ballet West put on a lovely production of Cinderella, and I revelled in every moment of it. Hilarious and grotesque, the evil stepsisters (traditionally played by men) provided a wealth of comedic moments. An aloof Wellington and surprisingly flexible Napoleon made memorable appearances as potential suitors. The lifts in the pas de deux stunned me, and the beauty of this moment overwhelmed me so much I found myself fighting back tears. It was all utterly magical! (As any production of Cinderella worth its salt should be!)

Next up for Ballet West is George Balanchine's Jewels, an event I eagerly anticipate. I recommend going if you're in the area. In the meantime, here are a few photos from the evening...

Excellent advice!
Sometimes I enjoy the theatre itself as much as the production
Someday I will watch the show from box seats
Intermission
Reluctantly leaving the theatre

8 comments:

Melissa Vizcarra said...

I love ballet too! I hope you had a wonderful time ;). Which is you favorite ballet? Mine would have to be Don Quixote, I think.

Diana said...

I did have a wonderful time! Thanks, Melissa. :)

You know, I've never seen Don Quixote. Hopefully I'll have the privilege of experiencing it in the near future.

After reading your comment, I began pondering what MY favourite ballet is...and I'm not sure I have one. At least not yet. Perhaps my favourite is still to come?

Anonymous said...

Looks like such a fun evening! That theatre is beautiful. I adored Breaking Pointe - really hope they do another season. Miranda

Diana said...

They are doing another season, Miranda. I'm very much looking forward to it, though I'm hoping for less Allison/Rex and more Christiana/Chris. From what I've heard the producers have announced the show will be focused on dancing rather than Hills-style drama.

Unknown said...

www1025




canada goose outlet
coach handbags
jordan shoes
north face
adidas outlet
clarks shoes
jordan shoes
true religion jeans
dsquared2

yanmaneee said...

ralph lauren uk
moncler
kd 11
christian louboutin shoes
louboutin shoes
air max 270
air max 270
yeezy
yeezy 700
nike huarache

yanmaneee said...

lebron 17
paul george shoes
hermes belt
coach outlet store online
kyrie 6
christian louboutin
kyrie shoes
yeezy boost 350
kobe 11
adidas zx flux

theigh said...

replica bags aaa quality his response h6w46c0o24 replica bags nyc More Help c8i63l1n59 high quality designer replica replica bags blog q8s83c9b59 best replica ysl bags read e4b51z4v22 replica bags qatar