Thursday, January 31, 2013

Celebrating 200 Years of Pride and Prejudice


With a flu virus so miserable I haven't even been able to indulge in some escapist reading in bed, this week past week has been a doozy. And while this is a few days late, I would be very remiss if I didn't give a little shout out to one of my most treasured books:

Happy 200th Birthday Pride and Prejudice! Here's to 200 more!

As I've said on this blog before, this novel marked my first experience reading a classic. It was my literary gateway drug. Therefore, I feel like I owe Jane Austen a debt for introducing me to the fabulous world of literature.

Speaking of Jane, I always wonder what she would think of all the Pride and Prejudice madness that endures (and only seems to increase!) so many years later, from Colin Firth in a Wet Shirt to Elizabeth Bennet as a zombie killer. She was so humorous and good natured, I have sneaking suspicion she's find it all rather amusing. Even after 200 years, we certainly haven't become bored with this story.

Somehow, I doubt we ever will.

4 comments:

Caro said...

Agreed. Pride and Prejudice will never die. It's too much a part of our lives now.
I'm sorry to hear you're still sick. Hopefully you'll get better very soon!

Diana said...

Thanks for the well wishes, Caro. While this flu is quite annoyingly persistent, it's given me a lovely excuse to sit and watch Pride and Prejudice for hours. So I suppose I should, in a rather strange way, be grateful to it. :)

Whitney said...

This was such a lovely post to commemorate a wonderful classic! I hope you feel better soon.

Diana said...

Thanks, Whitney! Slowly but surely, I'm on the mend. :)