Sunday, March 04, 2012

Charles Dickens on the Runway


One side effect of my fixed status as a bookworm is the absolute delight I feel when classic literature seeps into contemporary culture. Whether it's manifested through kitschy comics or Colin Firth in a wet shirt, I find it comforting to know that the literary works I hold so dear still influence the world today. I was, therefore, thrilled to come across this article which charts the marked Charles Dickens inspiration on this season's runway. The photos below highlight a few of my favourite Dickensian-styled pieces.

Left: Prabal Gurung; Right: Marchesa

According to the article, the designers responsible for these looks cited Miss Havisham from Great Expectations as the muse for their collections. Both convey the whimsicality that I associate with Dickens's eternal bride-to-be. The girl on the right, in particular, is Victorian bridal meets twenty-first century. I love that lace!


I would sport a ready-to-wear version of these ensembles in a hearbeat! The velvet waistcoat and overcoat with floral ascot and tailored skirt won me over at first glance. It's like a female-friendly revision of the Victorian chap.

Does your taste in literature influence your taste in fashion? I, for one, have been dreaming of an empire-waist, Austen-inspired wedding dress since I was fifteen!

No comments: